Johnston Ming Manning LLP provides both employers and employees advice concerning their rights and obligations within the non-union workplace. We also provide representation in court in cases of disputes.
This practice area includes but is not limited to:
- Consultations with employees and employers to provide general information and opinions
- Drafting Employment Agreements
- Advising employees and employers on the effects of their agreements
- Representation in cases of alleged wrongful dismissal and breaches of non-competition/non-solicitation covenants
- Advising both employers and employees regarding what would be reasonable termination notice or pay in lieu thereof in particular cases
As an employer you have both statutory and common law obligations to your employees. We can assist you in understanding those obligations and resolving any alleged breaches of them. We find that many employers appreciate receiving our advice when terminating an employee, as it allows them to proceed with more confidence that they are conducting themselves appropriately and will be unlikely to face a court judgment down the road.
Many employees are familiar with the provisions of the Employment Standards Code but have little or no knowledge of the rights and remedies possibly available to them under the common law or other statutes. Our Employment Law lawyers can help you understand all of your rights and, through negotiation, litigation, or otherwise, ensure that your interests are protected.